This low-calorie salad is easy to make and is high in vitamin C.
2 pink grapefruits
1 whole lemon plus the zest and juice of 1 large lemon
60g watercress with stalks removed
150g drained ricotta
½ small watermelon, peeled and cut into 1.5cm, tortilla size triangles
2tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
100g caster sugar
Small, finely chopped red onion
Crusty bread for serving
- Remove zest from the whole lemon, cut off the top and bottom and use a sharp knife to remove outer skin, discarding the skin and pith. Cut between the membranes to remove the segments and finely chop. Peel and segment the grapefruits in the same way but leave the segments whole. Set aside both fruits separately.
- Place watermelon in a large bowl and add lemon juice. Season to taste and leave for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Make the dressing by heating the sugar with 100ml of water in a small saucepan, until sugar is dissolved. Bring mixture to boil and cook for 5 minutes until it forms a syrup.
- Remove from heat and stir in the watermelon juices. Once the dressing is cool, stir in lemon zest, the chopped lemon and mint.
- Serve by dividing the grapefruit and watermelon segments, red onion and watercress between 6 plates. Drizzle over the dressing and top with ricotta. Serve with fresh crusty bread.