You already realise that regular visits to Thompson Road Dental are essential for good oral health, but in between checkups there are lots of things you can do to maintain a healthy smile. Read our six super simple secrets to enjoying a healthier smile.
- Brush your teeth after every meal using a soft-bristled toothbrush that won’t damage your teeth and gums.
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue as this can harbour bacteria. Brushing your tongue will help improve oral health and freshens your breath.
- Flossing is essential, so make sure you floss at least once a day, ideally just before you go to bed, so your mouth is beautifully clean.
- Avoid eating too much sugar because it can cause tooth decay. If you have the urge for something sweet, have it as part of your main meal when it’s less harmful to teeth.
- Avoid coffee and red wine if you are worried about teeth staining, but otherwise, rinse your mouth with water after enjoying these beverages.
- Try not to snack between meals because it increases acidity in your mouth, which in turn erodes tooth enamel. If you need a snack, choose something tooth-friendly like natural sugar-free yoghurts, cheese or crunchy fruits and veggies.