Flossing is the most effective way to maintain good dental health. We’ve listed eight reasons as to why you should make daily flossing part of your oral hygiene routine.
- Reducing your risk of gum disease. Dental plaque contains harmful bacteria that will cause inflammation and infection in your gums. Gum disease can cause tooth loss as it destroys the structures holding your teeth in place.
- Reducing your risk of cavities. Flossing removes food and plaque in-between teeth. This is an area where tooth decay can easily develop.
- Protecting your heart health. The inflammation caused by gum disease has been linked to cardiovascular disease because harmful bacteria can enter your bloodstream through infected gums, potentially affecting your heart health.
- Avoiding diabetes. Gum disease has also been linked with diabetes as it can increase the risk of developing this condition or may make it harder to control blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
- Maintaining fresh breath. Unless you remove impacted food, it will gradually rot, increasing your risk of halitosis.
- Preventing tartar build-up. Plaque soon hardens into tartar which is a yellowish substance containing bacteria and which can also cause gum disease. It can only be removed during a regular scale and polish.
- Maintaining an attractive smile. Tartar build-up can look unsightly!
- Protecting your general health. Gum disease has been linked to numerous health problems so why take the risk when flossing is simple and effective?
If you are not sure how to floss, please ask us for practical advice as we’d be delighted to help you.